Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Own Experiment with Making My Own Zucchini Chips: Yahoo!

Good afternoon,

One last post -- due to a recipe for making your own zucchini chips.

One of the items I love to eat on my new diet plan are zucchini chips.  Buying them at the store is expensive, so I started looking around for some recipes on how to make my own.

On Pinterest, I found a link to
http://vittlesandbits.blogspot.com/2012/03/baked-zucchini-chips.html.  She has posted her method of making them.
I read through some of the comments, but there were too many.  Some people had success, while many didn't.  I had two zucchini in the fridge about 2 weeks old, and decided to give it a go.
I took the pictures as I went along, so here were the steps I followed.  (Pretty much what vittles and bits posted.)
FIRST THING OFF; PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO ABOUT 225 DEGREES F.  I wanted to make sure my oven temperature had reached full throttle to start.  (I preheated a little higher and then lowered it when I stuck them in.)
In picture 1:  I had to peel off the outside of my first zucchini.  It was showing a lot of wear and tear, but the inside was still moist and firm.  I sliced the slices very thinly.
My zucchini is really small.  I could almost close my thumb and index finger around it.  See the second untouched zucchini next to the peeled and sliced one.
2:  I laid my zucchini out on a paper towel on my cutting marble.  I had thought of this while I was reading the comments of the people who had tried to get them crisp.  Later, going back, I discovered that another lady had done the same.  What is that?  BLOTTING THEM HEAVILY!
 
 3:  I laid another paper towel on top and pressed and pressed my hands onto the covered zucchini.  A lof of the mositure came through on the top towel.

4:  After they were pressed.


5:  I laid parchment paper on a pizza pan, and very lightly sprayed my olive oil on it.  I sprayed in small, short blasts.

6:  I laid each zucchini slice on top of the olive oil sprayed parchment paper.

 
 7:  Zucchini LIGHTLY sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.
 
8:  After 20 minutes.  (I preheated a little hotter; won't do that again.)
A little toasty, but still very tasty.
Even a light sprinkle of salt was too much here.
 
 

9:  I sliced the second unpeeled zucchini and sliced them a little thicker this time.

10:  I lowered the temperature this time, and here are 2 batches coming out.  The darker ones on the right were this brown after about 30 minutes.  I gobbled those up anyway; not enough salt this time.  And too late to resalt the rest.

The ones on the left are crispy, even though they didn't totally brown.  I found I had to take them out as they browned, a little at a time.  I ate those, too, even though they could've used a touch more salt.


 

11:  I picked up slices and hopefully you can make them out.  I wanted you to see their size (I have small hands)  But they are totally crispy!!  And YUMMY!

12:  The rest I removed as they either browned up or were crispy enough.

So ... today, I ate two zucchini!  Tears now; they were my last two zucchini, but I hope to stop on the way home from work tomorrow and pick up a few more.

To me, this experiment was totally successful ... and delish!

Because every oven is so different, I just think you have to play around with this to find out how it works for you.  And every zucchini is going to be a little different too.  Depending on size and the moisture inside, you're going to have to learn to play it by ear.  Each time!

But, it's worth it!  At least it was for me!

Good luck, and hope you great success should you try making these yourself.

And remember to check out vittles and bits blogspot for her instructions and all the comments.  There are so many, I only got about a quarter of the way through them before running off to try it myself.

Enjoy!

Cj

1 comment:

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits said...

Looks tasty, thanks for trying these & linking up CJ!