Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Life Is Good! It's Very Good!

Good Wednesday morning to everyone!

Ah! Feel and smell the crispness of these September mornings. Breathe it in deeply. Life is good! It's very good!

Yesterday, I had an experience that was terrifying. Thank heavens for quick-thinking friends!

I was at lunch, and I was just finishing up the last of my pita's from my South Beach Diet Salad lunch.

Those little pitas have a fine dusting of something on the outside of them. As I took a bite, I must have inhaled, causing some of that fine powder to go into my lungs.

No problem, I thought! I'll just cough and get clear.

Much to my surprise, it wasn't that simple! I could cough without any problem. But getting air back into my lungs was darn near impossible. My throat seemed to swell up. "Don't panic," I told myself. I kept coughing, thinking each cough would remedy the situation, but I'll tell you. When you cough, you expel air. The next thing you need is a big gulp of air going BACK INTO YOUR LUNGS to make your next cough more effective.

My friends immediately asked if I was okay. I shook my head yes, and tried to speak, only to find I couldn't speak either. I clasped my hands around my neck and continued to cough.

"Are you choking?" they asked. I shake my head yes.

"Are you okay?" they quiz. I shake my head yes again. I try to say, "I can't get any air," but it doesn't appear to be coming out. My heart is pounding, and I begin to feel panicky. I am still coughing, but nothing new is coming in. I've never tried to inhale, and NOT have air come in. Panic was starting to become terror.

"You're turning red ... I think you might be in trouble." Indeed. I am also now sweating. I feel like I should've made that trip to the bathroom before eating, as every cough almost causes me to "wet my pants". "Do you want us to call the squad?"

Still coughing, I shake my head no. "Heavens," I thought! "I don't want to make a scene!"

What in the world did I think was happening at that moment. People ARE "starting to notice" that there's something wrong.

In my head, I'm thinking, "I need to get up to the third floor to the nurse." I get up and walk around in little circles. Karrie says, "Do you want the squad?"

Again I shake my head no vigoriously, and suddenly, I'm shaking my head yes. I realize I am probably in deep doo-doo, and don't want to expire like this.

Karrie runs into the cafe which adjoins the eating area, and returns quickly. "They are on their way!"

I sit down trying to relax. It didn't take them long ... and by the time they were there, I was getting air again. At first, it was slow. Straining hard, I could feel my throat loosen up a little and feel air flowing in a strained fashion. But it was air.

I can't tell you how long the whole episode lasted. I know it felt like forever.

The squad checked me out. Pulse 92. I guess I looked okay. They asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. I said no. I was breathing again, although my throat ached and was sore. It felt like someone hit me on the back of the neck with a baseball bat, and I thought my head would split open, but I could breathe.

I answered their questions, still struggling with the words as my throat was still tight. My lungs ached and felt tight.

I signed a release, and they went on their way. As quick as it started, it was over. Thank heavens.

I went out with my friends, but did not smoke. You don't smoke after an episode like that.

So thank you, Karrie, Heidi, Chris, and Fred. For being there. For responding for me.

It's funny. Well, not really.

Last week, my husband began coughing when he was in bed. I was next to him, falling asleep. I woke up to his coughing, and asked him if he was okay. He kept coughing. He's had coughing episodes before, so I thought he was okay and rolled back over. After it all ended, and he could talk again, he told me what happened. It was the very same thing I experienced yesterday.

I felt horrible. He could have died right next to me, and I wouldn't have even known. It scared him a lot as it should have.

We've worked out a system to let each other know if something like that ever happens to us again. Grab your throat and shake your head no if you can't get your breath! Bump into each other when you know you really need help and you can't talk!

If no one is around, dial 911. Even if you can't talk, they will probably send a squad to your home. Maybe even learn to tap out SOS if you can't speak, so they will know you're in trouble! Anything to get help, quickly!!!

I am a healthy person. You call the squad for other people. It's NEVER FOR YOU. But sometimes ... I know now ... it is.

Things happen in seconds. A friend dies at the wheel due to a sudden seizure. Someone chokes to death. One minute, you're fine; and the next -- tragedy.

If something happens around you, be quick to assess the situation and take action.

So this morning I can say, life is good. It is very, very good.

Have a wonderful, safe Wednesday.

Back tomorrow. With God's grace ... and friends!

No comments: