Sunday, September 30, 2007

Stationary Is Always Nice

Good Morning!

For Sunday, I had some kaleis I liked, so I put them into stationary. Some pretty gel pens in white would look nice on this.

I spent a lot of time doing artwork yesterday, so I already have everything for all week, plus extras. It was just a good creation day.

My granddaughter showed up around 6:30 am yesterday morning. I knew she was coming on Saturday, but didn't know what time. So when the doorbell rang, I didn't answer it. After it rang several times, my husband answered it, and we were very surprised to find her standing their with her stepmom.

My daughter called me about 7 am to tell me Bonita would be dropping Taylor around 8:30 am. "Too late," I said. "She's here now." They had to drop her dad off at the airport very early that morning.

We took Taylor skating later in the day. It was her first time on skates in a rink. I knew it would be a big learning exercise, but figured since she has taken gymnastics, dance, and tumbling, the balance thing in those would help. It didn't.

She made it around the rink twice. Once with Papaw, and then again on her own. She spent time in the center "beginners" ring, where she met two friends.

After that, she decided it was time to just skate around on the carpet. She tried to climb up on one of the rides they have there, and I'm yelling NO, NO, NO! at her, but the music is so loud, she doesn't hear me. I didn't get over there fast enough, so the fall was inevitable. Why don't I see these things coming???

She smashed her chest on the ride as her skates caused her feet to fly out from underneath her. She ended up flat on her back, crying. She had a nasty scrape on her chest. She cried that she hated skating. "Why did you bring me here?", she wailed. "I hate this. I don't want to skate! I want to go home!!!"

And, so we left. We were there less than an hour. $19 dollars is what the going rate is now for an open skate for one child, and one adult. I didn't skate. Heavens! After falling at work on the entry hall when it was raining out, I don't risk my body anymore. Not at 57 years old. My left hip has never been the same.

Now Papaw can skate. He flies around the rink, bopping to the music, skating backwards, hopping, whirling, and spinning. It's like he was born wearing skates.

I grew up skating, too. But it was OUTSIDE, not in the rink on slippery wood floors. The only thing I had to worry about was falling when I hit a stone. You remember what happens when you roll into a little pebble on the concrete or pavement? Skinned knees were always a part of skating.

I didn't find my first indoor rink till I was 16. In Atlanta, Ga. There, everyone skated indoors. I didn't make the transition easily. Boy, can you go fast when you're not dodging pebbles, but it was always too much for me!

We ordered pizza for dinner, a break from the non-wheat, gluten, diet, and watched I ROBOT, which Taylor really wanted to see.

We put ice on Taylor's boo-boo. The angry redness disappearred, and now it's a little pink. She is so fair-skinned, every little mark shows up on her. She told me, "Mamaw. If I ever say I want to go skating again, I don't really WANT to go skating. I just want to come here and play the video games."

So that was my Saturday. And Tay's. And Ray's. Today promises to be a much easier day. Nothing more strenuous than washing clothes and going to the grocery to shop for this week's food.

Have a great Sunday, and I will return tomorrow. Have some SAFE fun!

No comments: