Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Owl be seeing you

Good morning,

Another day, another creation, another kalei-art. That's what this is.

It all started with the v-shape of the eyes and the sides of the face. Somehow, that looked like an owl to me, so this is where I began.

I played with inner bevels and textures, trying this and that until I found what I liked. My daughter told me he looks evil. I just think owls usually have kind of a "spooky look", which is perfect for the month of October.

Last week, we set a new record (1-degree above) for heat, but this week, we are heading into fall. Much cooler temperatures, and they are saying that the summer is now behind us. I'm ready!

My prayers go out to a fellow co-worker whose mother passed away last Friday. Her funeral is today at 1:30 pm. I remember how hard it is to lose a parent. My father's death was a hard time to get through. You don't want to tell them that time will ease your loss, but it does happen. The first year is the hardest, but each year, it does get better. Eventually, time allows just your favorite memories to live in their absence.

I talked with my son yesterday. I wanted to "wish him a happy birthday". He had taken the day off, and was relaxing at home when I reached him. His girlfriend, Kathy, is going through her first annual grieving for the loss of her brother last year. Her parents will be in to visit and remember him together.

When my dad died on January 31st -- many, many years ago now -- I went through this annual grieving period. I was thoroughly amazed to realize that on the fifth annual passage of his life, I had completely missed it. At first, I was horrified. And then I realized, time had finally done it's job. I had been allowed to move on.

After losing a parent, I dread the loss of either my spouse, or any of my children or grandchildren. Those that are closest to you, and in your life everyday, are going to be the biggest obstacles. I don't like to even think of these things, so I do my best NOT to.

In my journey to better health, I donned a pair of sunglasses on my drive home from work yesterday. While I personally don't get many headaches, but used to get "exercise-induced migraines", I read something that made me think.

Due to all the air-conditioning everywhere now, it's those sudden changes in temperature that can bring them on. The article I read suggested the sunglasses, as well as wearing a coverup, such as a jacket or sweater, even in the summer. I've always worn an over garment since I knew you could be "burning up" outside and "freezing" inside.

I knew my own migraines were a result of exercising, getting all hot and sweaty, and then cooling down too fast. I was a gold-certified aerobics instructor back then, and during cooldown, we used to turn on a fan, as my students all wanted it on at that point. And that's when my migraine would begin until I learned what was happening, and stayed out of the draft.

I used to jog with a student during the week, and even then, I carried a hat to donn my sweaty head to keep any drafts from causing this headache. It helped immensely, so when I read this article, I was NOT surprised.

And my eyes just get so funny in the sun. After a while, I feel like I can't see at all. All that "bright sunlight striking the retina of the eye!" That article made me more conscious of protecting them.

So ends another post and creation for today. May God's peace and tranquility be with you all today, wherever and whatever you may be facing.

See you tomorrow.

No comments: