Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Monster in my Room

Good morning!

This little creation was prompted by my granddaughter, Taylor.

Many a Saturday night, she's crept quietly into my room, to my bedside, and tapped on me. "Mamaw, I had a bad dream."

I lift the covers as I slide over, allowing her entrance into the warmth and comfort of our bed. It always seems like a good idea, at the time.

I am a creature of habit. When I go to bed, I always set my alarm, but I also always say, "I'll be up before it goes off." And ... I am. The alarm is only a safeguard ... in case, I'm unusually tired, and miss my verbal cue that I set as I set my alarm.

I also know that you can work on problems while you sleep. I do that. And I told my granddaughter about something I'd heard a long time ago, and practice myself. I don't remember where I heard it or read it.

"When you have a bad dream," I've told her, "it is possible to KNOW that it is a dream. If you are able to realize you are having a dream, and it is frightening, it is possible to say to yourself, 'Hey! This is only a dream. It can go anyway I want it to go.'" And it works.

You can turn and face your fear because it is only a dream. It will either fade or disappear.

I did have a quiet unusual dream the other night. I don't usually remember them, but some have a longer, lasting effect.

In this dream, I was going somewhere, and came to a tiny rope way up in the air that had to be crossed. There were men working there. One man came up behind me and wrapped his arm around me and said, "Just one foot in front of the other, and don't look down." He propelled me step by step across the vast void beneath, and safely to the other side.

That was unusual in itself, but the really strange part is ... after some time ... I arrived back at this rope to go back to the other side. It came upon me unexpectedly, and all I could think when I got there was, "Darn! Why didn't I remember this, and NOT come back this way?!"

Again, the workers were there, and as quick as quick could be, slipped behind me once again to push me across. This time, I felt as if I was leaning distinctly to my left, and we would both topple over without much help. But. We didn't. We made it safely to the other side.

And that's when I woke up. I got up then, and said, "What a strange dream! I wonder what it could mean?"

Usually dreams fade shortly upon arising, but this dream has stayed vivid in my thoughts. I still do not know what it means.

Hope it's a good day for you. Back tomorrow.

No comments: